Well, I didn’t lie — kinda. I’m no longer on the GoDaddy Windows hosting for the blog. Using Windows to host a WordPress PHP blog really seems like it’s swimming upstream. It can be made to work, but it’s hard.
I tried 1and1 and it was an epic disaster:
- I couldn’t check out to buy the hosting with Google Chrome
- When adding the domains it got really confused and eventually gave me a 500 error
- I called support and I got a barely understandable CSR that didn’t even know the system
- The DNS seems to only allow 4 MX records (not enough for Google)
- The DNS must be hosted at 1and1
I did a bunch of looking for hosting providers that offer Linux hosting with SSH support. Most of them seem really fly-by-night.
Eventually I wound back at GoDaddy’s Linux hosting.
It’s fast. I can’t complain about this one.
…the devil you know…
I did have a slight hiccup… on En’s blog I had this up for about an hour:
I called up tech support and they said it was DNS propagation… I think he was using an excuse that most folks would take and not question. I knew it was wrong since the DNS had already went past its TTL.
Eventually I pried out of him that the change still needed to be pushed out to the Apache web server.
Sure enough, given another 1/2 hour it was working again — now on Linux!