In the end this is really much less a Kindle fail and much more an Amazon customer service win.
I went to plug in my Kindle in my hotel room on Monday and found this:
Sure, I’ve seen insulation crack over time from flexing at the same location over and over. The Kindle cable on the other hand was neatly coiled in my backpack. I pulled it out and it was shedding all over.
Even the middle…
So there’s the fail.
I called up the Amazon Kindle support number about the problem. I was expecting to run the gauntlet of stupidity that I encounter at most places.
No stupidity was met with however.
The next day I had a new cable on my doorstep at home.
This is the type of service that you should expect to get. Everyone makes mistakes. The cable issue seems to be a known problem. The solution isn’t to blame your customers, it’s to just make the situation right.
The annoying thing is that this is surprising.