After we ate dinner and I reviewed a draft of En’s resume I went upstairs to get a bit of work done. Nothing major, mostly a bit of a side project I’ve been working on (an iOS app in case you’re wondering).

When I went and tried to play a bit of tunes on Spotify it told me I was offline.

That’s queer.

The first thing I always tend to do is bounce the networking gear. The cable modem and the router are the first to get bounced. Following this the switches are the next to get rebooted. Nothing much seems to be helping matters.

The strange thing is every once in a while a packet is getting through and I get an email or something. It’s more than a bit screwy.

Here’s what a trace route looked like:

gburgyan-imac:~ gburgyan$ traceroute twitter.com
traceroute: Warning: twitter.com has multiple addresses; using 199.59.149.198
traceroute to twitter.com (199.59.149.198), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1)  0.422 ms  0.329 ms  0.229 ms
 2  * * 73.x.x.x (73.x.x.x)  9.505 ms
 3  68.85.144.249 (68.85.144.249)  23.307 ms  11.550 ms *
 4  69.139.164.129 (69.139.164.129)  22.587 ms * *
 5  * * *
traceroute: sendto: Can't assign requested address
 6 traceroute: wrote twitter.com 52 chars, ret=-1
 * *traceroute: sendto: Can't assign requested address
traceroute: wrote twitter.com 52 chars, ret=-1
 *
 7  ae-31-51.ebr1.seattle1.level3.net (4.69.147.150)  57.302 ms  56.663 ms  70.247 ms
 8  * ae-7-7.ebr2.sanjose1.level3.net (4.69.132.49)  91.285 ms *
 9  * * ae-62-62.csw1.sanjose1.level3.net (4.69.153.18)  80.843 ms
10  * * *
11  4.53.210.50 (4.53.210.50)  61.008 ms * *
12  * * *
traceroute: sendto: No route to host
13 traceroute: wrote twitter.com 52 chars, ret=-1
 * * *
14  * www2.twitter.com (199.59.149.198)  80.196 ms  79.910 ms

If I had to posit a guess it’s something up with Comcast and them cleaning up the mess from yesterday’s storms. Oftentimes trying to fix one problem causes a chain reaction that causes other problems. Until things are all cleaned up you’re more of less in a bad state.

Oddly enough, I was able to get Evernote to sync and do the copy/paste dance to my iPad to make this post happen.