In the past year I’ve taken for granted that the idea of using a digital SLR to “scan” photos will work. Today I belatedly tried it out. I stuck a random slide onto my light table and just hand-held with my Canon 5D-II with 100mm macro lens squeezed off a shot.

It works fine!

I completely expected it to work fine, of course. But to see the result is still a good validation of the idea.

Speaking of ideas… I managed to come up with another version of the slide scanner today. The design mary go round continues in earnest. My latest iteration involves linear rails with stages instead of a gravity-assisted vertical solution. Honestly I’m rather embarrassed that it took me this long to think about this solution.